Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What Win 7 WON'T do...

Direct cable connection is gone...

I guess I should say that I haven't figured it out yet rather than that it doesn't work... Just like everything else in Win 7 it takes a bit more time to figure out because it is new. In all reality I don't even know how important it is anyway.

Last night I was xferring a couple files (Win 7 RC ISO file so I can burn a disk...) and they were rather large, over 3Gb each. This Dell Latitude D630 has an Intel 4965 AGN wireless adapter, which connects at a minimum of 130 mps, but the IBM ThinkPad T60 has only an Intel 3945 ABG that will max out at 54 mps. Ever transfer a file at 54 mps?

I used to, back when slow networks were all the rage. Here at home I have a gigabit ethernet backbone thru a Link-Sys (Cisco) switch, with a D-Link DIR-655 wireless N router connected to the DSL modem. With a 25/2 connection, shit screams across the Internet here. It easily supports all I wanna do, as well as the other dozen or so computers on the network at any one given moment. The local gigabit speeds aren't really necessary, unless you are xferring large files and want to do it in a short amount of time. Nice to have though, seeing how almost everything I have on the network has a gigabit adapter.

So I figure that I can use the gigabit adapters in these 2 laptops to xfer files much quicker than the 54 mps the IBM will max out at. Again, I figured wrong. Connecting a crossover ethernet cable and setting static IP addresses was all anyone needed to do with XP, and I have used it numerous times in the past. Even at a lowly 100 mps things go rather quickly.

Win7 is advanced enough that I don't even need to use a crossover cable, a regular CAT5e cable will work, apparently. They connect easy enough, but if you think I could get them to talk to each other, boy were you wrong. I still haven't figured this out. Luckily I have the hard drives with the previous OS still intact, and if I can't figure this out in Win7 I am gonna pop the old drives back in just to test Vista and XP to see if the laptops actually do work in this direct-connect configuration.

Anyway, one thing Win7 WILL do is burn an image file, natively. Just double click the ISO file, and Windows Disk Image Burner pops up and prompts you to choose or verify your CD/DVD burner drive. Kinda cool, really. I wonder what else will surprise me next...

I imagine if I can get this direct connect thing working, it will surprise me. M$ dropped direct connect FireWire support with Vista, but I imagine you can get 480 mps throughput with USB. Or so they claim. Kinda like new car MPG ratings. You only get that mileage going downhill, coasting in neutral with a tailwind. In order to get 480 mps throughput with USB you need to connect two supercomputers in a refrigerated server room and use pure gold cable. Go figure.

Anyway it appears as though Win7 is pretty stable, I have installed it on a few machines and except for one installation in particular, they have all been rock-solid stable. Other than the few annoyances detailed in this blog things run OK, and if they don't run OK, there are tricks you can pull to get then going. Like running video drivers in compatibility mode. Sure, it isn't the best thing to do, but to me, the end always justifies the means.

No comments: