Saturday, May 30, 2009

RigBlaster Pro Mic Wiring

I promised more detail, so here it is.

I have ripped the setup apart to make room for dinner on the kitchen table, so now I am cleaning this blog up by finishing the setup details. Brad N1JIF shot some closeups of the equipment as we ripped it all down, and I will compile the details in seperate posts.

I am getting ready to record the audio exchanges and put the finishing touches on the laptop setup and while all of this is fresh in my memory I have decided to document as much as I can to not only help me, but others who may have questions and are brave enough to navigate this blog for answers. The following info is direct from the RigBlaster Pro User Manual:

YAESU with 8 Pin Screw on Microphone Connectors
(This jumpering is for newer Yaesu radios that have Microphones with isolated PTT & audio grounds.)

INPUT SIDE
Pin #
1 Blue Shunt Jumper to Pin 1 OUTPUT Side
2 Blue Shunt Jumper to Pin 2 OUTPUT Side
3 Blue Shunt Jumper to Pin 3 OUTPUT Side
4 Blue Shunt Jumper to Pin 4 OUTPUT Side
5 White Jumper to PTT GND – INPUT Side
6 White Jumper to PTT – INPUT Side
7 White Jumper to MIC GND – INPUT Side
8 White Jumper to MIC – INPUT Side



OUTPUT SIDE
Pin #
5 White Jumper to PTT GND – OUTPUT Side
6 White Jumper to PTT – OUTPUT Side
7 White Jumper to MIC GND – OUTPUT Side
8 White Jumper to MIC – OUTPUT Side

Here is the diagram as published in the RigBlaster Pro manual:

Here is the actual photo of the jumpers as I have them configured inside the RigBlaster Pro:

The 2 jumpers to the right of the block are not connected to anything, they are for jumpering receive audio at the mic connector. Neither is the GNDTIE jumper on the block, the actual jumper sits on a single pin. Jumpering this introduces a horrible ground loop that gets passed on thru to the transmitter.

This wiring is for the Yaesu MD-100 mic, which is screwed into the front of the RigBlaster Pro via its 8-pin cable (8-pin RJ-45 modular to circular screw-on 8-pin). Output to the rig is accomplished out the back of the RigBlaster Pro through the 8-pin cable (8-pin modular RJ-45 to circular screw-on 8-pin) to a Yaesu CT-69 connector, which adapts an 8-pin to the modular 6-pin RJ-11 that is required by the FT-100D. The CT-69 contains a 27K resistor as well as a small capacitor (i dunno what the capacitor is for, but Randy N1GWL will explain it to me, as he as well as Chuck WA1NBU are the kings of capacitors) built into the 8-pin circular screw-on shell.

I will forego the MD-100 wiring for now, but I have successfully interfaced the MD-100 to the FT-100, the UP/DOWN buttons work and the audio is outstanding. Problem is, I haven't built the cable for the RigBlaster Pro yet... That requires yet another cable... If anyone wants the details, it is easy to email me for more info, or leave a comment.

No comments: