Thursday, May 21, 2009

This should be easier than it is...

This is part 3 of the Field Day setup fiasco...

Anyway, to continue the saga, I believe I have a full station setup and working. It is not exactly how I would like it to be, but again, this is a work in progress and I finally have a good working base from which I can build.

See the two previous posts below for more info on exactly what I plan on setting up as well as the components I am trying to interface.

To summarize, I have a Yaesu FT-100D rig interfaced to a West Mountain RigBlaster Pro which is connected in many ways to an IBM ThinkPad T60 laptop running 32-bit XP Pro. Power to this system is provided by an Astron RS-50M supply thru a West Mountain RigRunner 4010S, attached to a West Mountain PwrGate and a rather large gel-cell battery as backup. In addition, there is a Diamond cross-needle power/swr meter in the mix as well as an older Panasonic speaker used for audio output. Voice input is provided by either a Yaesu MD-100 desk mic or a Heil ProSet headset (HC-5 DX element).

These are the parts I have working so far. To say I am a fan of West Mountain products is an understatement, their shit just works. Period. Now onto the things I would PREFER to get connected and working:

Dell Latitude D630 laptop running Vista 64-bit
David Clark H10-60 headset with M7 mic
Bird ThruLine wattmeter
Additional Heil headset

The next task to tackle is the D630. In order to use a laptop fully with the RigBlaster Pro interface, you need to have what is called 'full-duplex' audio through your computer. Basically this is the ability to 'un-mute' the microphone input so it can be processed and then passed through the soundcard and back out to the RigBlaster Pro. This is critical to the ability of the Blaster to provide output audio to your headphones as well as the connected rear-panel speaker output. So far I have been unable to accomplish this, but there have been a few posts where I have seen users employ full-duplex on their Vista computers using the proper drivers and settings. All hope is not lost...

On top of that will be the ability to use the David Clark headset, it is an incredible piece of work that has the ability to completely cancel all ambient noise via custom engineered gel-filled earpads. It is no wonder they use these in aircraft. Put these babys on and you are isolated in a world where silence is golden and the ONLY audio you hear is that passed thru the tiny 1/8" plug connected to something. To say these are incredible again is an understatement. Bose could learn a lesson...

The DC H10-60 is the set I have, it has an amplified M-7A microphone that I would love to be able to use while connected to radios or computers. Got these at the Hosstraders hamfest (now NEAR-Fest) years ago, but only have been able to use them as headphones because of my apparent inability to wire the microphone correctly. This shit ain't plug & play, it is more like plug & pray. Maybe I can enlist Randy N1GWL to help, he is wiz-bang at this electronics crap. It needs DC bias current at the mic, so chances are it is either gonna work slick as shit or he will destroy a $70.00 headset cable.

The specifics of the RigBlaster Pro are the neat thing here, it is ultra customizable. It will interface virtually ANY computer & soundcard to ANY radio. The problem is generally gonna be the software you use to git 'r dun. That will be the topic in Part 4 of this diatribe, the insane ramblings of an Extra class part-timer. Psychobabble as Mike KT1Q puts it...

Despite what others might tell you, the most important part of the Blaster interface is not the RS-232 stuff and TTL conversion to control the rig, that is incredibly simple according to the RigBlaster Pro User Guide. It is the Mic connection and configuration to your rig that is the heart of the matter. This took me a week to understand and configure. Thanks Yaesu, for making every rig you manufacture different from the model before.

The FT-100D is a strange beast, but it remains as a workhorse in my shack, even though it was designed to be used mobile. It has data connections on the back, as well as rig control and key/speaker connections. The strange part is the mic connector in the 'front'. You need to remove the faceplate in order to connect the mic, and only certain microphones will work. You can find a link to Yaesu's official list of supported accessories on the web, but I tend to ignore official crap like that. I figure if I have a microphone, and it has some sort of connector, that I am intelligent enough to connect it to the radio somehow. Generally this is the case, and this example is no exception.

The Yaesu MD-100 is a wonderful desk mic, with built-in audio filtering and PTT as well as up/down 'buttons' laid out on a really nice looking stand. Again I bought mine at the Hosstraders (now NEAR-Fest) hamfest a few years back at a very reasonable price. I figured because it sez Yaesu on it that it should connect easily to a Yaesu radio, right? Yeah, right...

Not only does the FT-100D use a non-standard RJ-11 6-pin connector, it apparently multiplexes all the features available on certain mics via some sort of strange resistance matrix. Just to get the PTT to work using a standard mic on the Ft-100D it requires a 27K resistor in the PTT line. When you add the up/down buttons into the mix, it adds another couple resistors in a series/paraallel arrangement. Try fitting all that crap into an 8-pin plug shell! Let's put it this way, this type of cable pushes the limit of my soldering abilities. You won't be creating one of these with a 250 watt soldering gun.

Anyway, I successfully built a cable specific to this combination, it won't work with anything else as far as I know. It might work with my broken FT-8500, but I dunno, 'cause it's broken. The up/down buttons work fine, they advance the frequency up and down just like they are supposed to when the mic is connected, holding either of the buttons will initiate scan mode in the direction of the button you are holding. So far all is good. Until you try to tailor your audio via the switches on the bottom of the mic...

The MD-100 requires voltage in order to use the 'active' filters. Oh well. The FT-100D supplies the wrong voltage, and there just isn't any more room in the 8-pin plug for a couple zener diodes to drop the voltage enough to make things work. Did I attempt to make it work? No, I read about it and decided I can run the mic in 'thru' mode without the need for active filtering. Besides, this is Field Day, and we don't need no mic filters on Field Day. Or do we? I kinda figure I can get the RigBlaster Pro to process stuff if I really need to , but I generally just crank up the mic gain and the processor (compression) in the rig and let it go at that. Real filters are made of crystal...

So with the MD-100 working, and a brief test on VHF FM with Brad N1JIF confirmed the mic actually had some output, I decided it was time to move on and plug the MD-100 into the RigBlaster Pro to see what it did. So I plugged it in. What did it do? Nothing. Seems I have to build another cable... But wait! I have this CT-69 thingy, which is an 8-pin male (mics generally have an 8-pin female...) connector to an RJ-11 6-pin connector that I got somewhere and never figured out exactly when and where to use. Taking the CT-69 thingy apart, I see it has a resistor and a small capacitor connected to the lines that an FT-100D would use for PTT! OK, so I connect this adapter to the RigBlaster Pro cable... and still nothing. Back to the User Guide...

Seems as though I need to configure the RigBlaster Pro for this particular radio/mic combination. Aha! Who would have figured! Since I had never used a mic with this setup before (PSK-31 and CW only, yes... CW. I made one contact...) there was nothing configured correctly as far as the jumpers inside the Blaster were concerned. Here is where the FD Setup Fiasco actually begins...

So you already know Yaesu doesn't do the same thing the same way twice, and when you deviate from the official accessory path you kinda can expect no support whatsoever. This is a bad place to start from. Fortunately I have a few people who will help by offering advice (I don't have any real friends...) and then again, there is the Internet. One thing to remember - Google is your friend. If you don't know something, Google it. Strange how our society will develop new verbs for doing strange shit. Anyway, between that, the Blaster manual, the rig manual and some good old fashioned trial-and-error, I got the RigBlaster Pro 'kinda' wired up to accept the MD-100 PTT. No up/down button control of frequency, but I may add that at a later date now that I know I can build a special cable for that operation. Why not use a hand mic you ask... Hand mics are for lightweights and amateurs. They are for people not adventurous enough to stray into the realm of hi-fidelity audio electronics. They are for the weenies we unfortunately call 'Appliance Operators'. Apparently they are for people who want things to work, and need to have the impedence matched properly...

So I key the mic, the MD-100 forces the FT-100D into life, keying the rig, activating the fancy eee-lectroniks inside the rig and making the LED on the front panel turn from green to red. All is good in the K1XH shack - so far. Until I look at the power/swr meter, which should indicate no output because I am not speaking into the mic. But yet the meter is going crazy, with some sort of strange modulation going on, being fed into the radio from the Blaster in apparently some sort of wiring mis-hap. WHAT THE HELL!

Son of a bitch, I am ripping this all apart. Enough is enough. I need to see this all in its ripped-apart glory, only to be re-assembled on the kitchen table in its planned Field Day configuration. I will work on the audio later, as I have PTT and I think that is all I need for now. Time to strip one side of the shack...

No comments: